Thursday, November 24, 2016

That Perfect Pork Roast




When the weather cools off I really enjoy slow roasting a great pork picnic roast.  Full of flavor and when cooked slowly so tender.  One thing I really enjoy is how it warms the house and the aroma leaves your mouth watering in anticipation for the end product.  The bargain is that this roast can be purchased on sale for $0.79 per pound.  That is a real bargain.  

I love doing a different kinds of roast,  from beef to lamb,  pork to more pork, and I enjoy many different ways of cooking them.  The pressure cooker is great,  I love the smoker, but sometimes I just really enjoy the good old fashioned way of slow roasting in the Oven.   Newer ovens have the convection roast setting and I love that.  My Thermador does a super job of roasting.  

For this roast I just slow roasted for 4 hours at about 275 degrees.  I cut the top with a sharp knife and drizzled with it balsamic vinegar and agave.   I sprinkled with well with a good seasoning and placed three chopped apples and 1 cup of dried figs, with on chopped onion.   It was great.  The pork slow roasted and in the process the apples and figs cooked to perfection.    After the roast was cooked to perfection I poured the apples, figs, onions, and drippings into the blender.  Blended it well and poured it over the roast before serving.  It was great.   

The only limited when it comes to cooking is our own imagination.  It is endless what we can do if we only use ours to create great things.  









The roast is seasoned and ready to bake.  Onions, apples, and figs with a drizzle of vinegar.  




The fat caramelized  and you can see the apples, figs, and onions did the same.  It's not burnt, 
just packed with flavor.   You could just serve the apples and figs on the side.



The sauce looks amazing.  And wow it was so good.  I did sweeten it up with a good drizzle of agave.



The best indication of something being good is just how much was left.  Nothing.  I love that. 
What was left I saved and the next day I placed the bone and extra in the pressure cooker with some beans and cooked it on high for 50 minutes.  Wow.  What great beans.  


Picnic Pork Roast

3 granny smith apples,  cut in chunks
1 cup dried figs
1 large onion,  chopped
1/4 cup maple balsamic vinegar 
2 tablespoons seasoning for pork  
Agave 

Place apples, figs, and onion in a large roasting pan.   Place the roast on top fat side up.  Score the fat.  Drizzle with balsamic and agave and sprinkle with seasoning.  Place in hot 275 degree oven and roast for 4 hours.  

Remove from oven and place roast in other pan and place drippings in blender and puree.  Place roast back in pan and top with sauce.  Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes.   Remove and enjoy.  

I served this with a red rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment