Saturday, March 21, 2015

Butter Oat Sticky Buns

      I love a great sticky bun,  gooey, moist, and full of flavor.   Not all sticky buns are created equal.  Some look great, but lack flavor or are dense and heavy and still lack flavor.  Sticky buns differ from cinnamon rolls in that a glaze is placed in the bottom of the muffin tin and the roll is placed on top of the glaze.  After they are baked you dump them out and the bottom becomes the top covered with nuts and gooey caramel stuff.   I think they are best served warm with a glass of milk, ice cold or your favorite beverage.  I love baking and I enjoy sharing what I bake.   My family is under pressure to be constantly ready to try my creations and praise me when I share them with everyone.  That is the fun of baking,  sharing.  I have also found out that when you go into it with the desire to share it ups the success rate.

      This recipe I did at 8:30 at night and within a hour I have these rolls out and in front of my family for a before bed snack. They loved them,  the evidence is the empty tray.  They can tell me they like it, but the real indicator is how long does it last.

Fresh baked sticky buns.  Be Still my heart.  Moist, light, and full of flavor.  


I roll the dough out  and spread it with coconut oil, cinnamon and sugar and a splash of water.

Rolled tight and cut.  I get 12 nice rolls that fit in the extra large muffin tins.

Butter, nuts, and coconut sugar make the glaze.

The cut rolls are placed on top of the glaze.

I use extra large muffin tins.  They usually have six spaces.

There is nothing healthy about this roll.  Evidence is the pad of butter I place on the roll as it is proofing.
This way the butter melts slowly into the dough.

The rolls in the oven.  The butter melts quickly into the bun.

After baking I dump them out onto a parchment paper.  The glaze is hot so it will flow well.  


The End or the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
The Recipe

For the Dough
1 cup oats
1.5 cups hot water
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons salt
3 to 4 cups *CLEAN white flour
1 tablespoon yeast

In your mixer place hot water and oats.    Let set for 2 minutes.  Add eggs, oil, butter, salt, and 1 cup of flour.  Place yeast on top of flour and turn on mixer.  Let mix to combine all ingredients.  Add more  flour until dough starts to pull away from the sides.  Mix for 6 minutes.  Remove from bowl and place in oiled bowl and let rise for 10 to 15 minutes.

For the Rolls
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup cinnamon sugar blend.  1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1-2 tablespoon cinnamon
Water
Roll out dough into large oblong circle.  Brush with melted butter,  spread cinnamon sugar mixture over dough and spread evenly with hand.  Lightly Sprinkle with water, this moistens the dough.  Starting on the side away from you start rolling the dough towards you.  Tighten it as you roll.  Once it is rolled tight, cut into rolls and place in large muffin tins.

For the sticky bun glaze
Coconut sugar, butter, and nuts.
In the bottom of each muffin tin place one tablespoon each of sugar, butter, and nuts.

*Clean White flour is flour that is free of chemicals.  Especially Bromine's, they are harsh chemicals that effect the thyroid gland and the immune system.   King Arthur and Wheat Montana's flours are chemical free and bake excellent breads.  

Baking is a great adventure.  I love to bake and I love to share what I bake.  The smell of fresh baked bread is like non other smell in the entire world.   Add the smell of cinnamon to that and life is better Enjoy your baking adventures.   Chef Brad~America's Grain Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment