Thursday, December 20, 2012

Cookies From Home

         My dearest childhood memories have to do with food of course.  My grandmother, Grannie, had a lot to do with that.  She was a great baker and always had a cupboard full of fresh baked goodies.  From cinnamon rolls to cookies we always had plenty to eat at her home.

      One of my fondest memories was when Grannie would come to visit.  She would pull up and open the trunk of her car, the treasure chest of all treasure chests, it was filled with every conceivable baked good she could come up with.  We loved her visits.  We loved her cookies.  At her home she always had cookie jars filled up with cookies.
Persimmon WonderFlour Cookies



So Tender and Cake Like 
     Our favorite cookie was her oatmeal raisin cookie,  not like the hard ones you get today but this one was cake and super soft.  She would boil the raisin in water and use the plump raisins and some of the water.  We could never find the oats in them, they were so tender and soft.  I am not a soft cookie person, but I loved those.

      So when my brother called recently and mentioned a new cookie recipe that he found and loved and he said it reminded him of Grannies cookies, I had to try the recipe.  He was right they are like grannies,  soft and tender, but I think this recipe is a new favorite of mine.

      The secret is the Persimmons.  Persimmons are hard to find in Arizona, but I found them and let them get ripe.  After they were rip I scooped out the fruit and blended it in the blender for a wonderful orange looking fruit.  I made the cookies and I love them.  I did change the recipe a little,  I substituted WonderFlour for the white flour and it was amazing.
WonderFlour is the best for cookies.  Thank you Brent for the wonderful recipe.  I love these new cookies,  a new family favorite for me.  I guess I need to find out if persimmons grow here.  Cannot afford to make them at the prices at AJ's market.  Know anyone with a tree in the area,  call me,  I will make you a batch of cookies.











WonderFlour Persimmon Walnut Cookies

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups persimmon fruit, blended
2 eggs
4 cups  WonderFlour
2 teaspoons Baking Spice,  Penzeys or  1 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped walnuts

Cream together butter and sugar,  add eggs and cream again,  add fruit and whip until creamy.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Scoop unto parchment paper lined cookie sheet.   Moisten hand with water and slightly flatten cookies.  Bake in a 335 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment