Thursday, February 21, 2013

Deep Fried French Toast, A new Third Sunday Dinner Favorite

       Third Sunday Dinner is amazing. Here is a photo journey of this months dinner. Be sure and read below as I will explain what really happened. Each month brings new friends and fun. I love Third Sunday Dinner and all that happens when people meet around food. It amazes me each month the miracles that happen, and the biggest miracle that happens is in my own heart as I learn to love deeper and trust more in God, and have faith to do hard things. Third Sunday Dinner is not always easy, but the end results always out weighs the work and effort involved. Enjoy the pictures, and commentary  below.

It is great having the back yard filled with family, friends, and new friends.  
Making the Syrup

Having fun...

Oh my,  it is great.

Deep Fried French Toast

I am so glad you came.

Have you met......

The happy fryers.  

Deep Fried French Toast. 

Welcome everyone,  Are you ready to eat?

The line forms here. 

We fried over 300 of these. 

Topped with fresh fruit,  comfort food at it's best.


Come on in, there is still room and food.

Me and the boys,  I love these boys. And the boys love food.


My two new best friends,  David and Jay.  They fried for 2 hours.

     I will have to explain why I said that Third Sunday Dinners are not always easy. Sometimes there is so much going on that I feel overwhelmed. This month was one of those times. My son just returned from his mission, being gone for 2 years. So we had a big family weekend planned. I was ok Friday,  having been sick with that nasty cold bug going around.  I did my shopping and felt somewhat ready knowing that my home would be filled with people for the weekend.

     I could not sleep Friday night. Some family arrived and so I tried to sleep sitting up in a chair. Every time I tried to lay down I coughed. I got maybe three light hours of sleep. The rest of the family started to arrive at 5:00 am Saturday morning. It was great fun.  I fixed a big breakfast for everyone, and then we went to the farmers market. Later more family arrived and I fixed a big lunch. We all went to the mall and still more family arrived. That night we had a big pizza party for everyone. I put some pork in the smoker for Sunday lunch. We played late Saturday night, and I still could not sleep.

     Sunday morning we had breakfast, and off to church for the homecoming of my son. It was great.  More Family arrived for it, and we had a big lunch after church.  Lunch ended and the last of the family left about 3:00. I looked at my watch realizing that I had 2 hours to get ready for Third Sunday Dinner.  I said a silent prayer and jumped in to get ready. The 2 Justins arrived and my son and son-in-law set out the tables and chairs.

      We ran around and were perfectly ready at 5:00.  It was a great day. The food was amazing.  I only  did the French Toast and Buttermilk Syrup, with some fresh strawberries and pineapple. The rest of the food like magic showed up. I think we fried over 300 pieces of French Toast. It was great.

     I was exhausted before it started, but as people showed up my energy returned and I was able to enjoy the entire event.  That is what I have learned most about Third Sunday Dinner,  to serve others is not always easy, but the end result always makes up for any sacrifice and after all is said and done I always wonder why I stress.  It always turns out wonderful when people gather around food.

     The entire weekend was great, a lot of work, yes. Worth the work, YES.  The memories that are created around food are like no other memories.  Seeing the joy on faces as they eat and enjoy each others companionship is priceless. Is what I am trying to say is that no matter what goes on or how hectic life gets, when it is all said and done, the dishes put away, the house back to normal, a couple days of rest, then we start to see the picture clearly and we remember what it was all for and we are ready to start the entire process over again, and again, and again. I love food,  I love what food can do when we truly understand it's full purpose. Not only to strengthen the body, but to nourish and feed the  spirit.

     I hope you are making your own "Third Sunday Dinner Traditions" in your life.  Enjoy the adventure. It only gets better.

Recipes

Buttermilk Syrup

     3/4 cup butter
     1 cup buttermilk
     3 cups sugar
     2 teaspoons vanilla
     2 teaspoons baking soda

In a large sauce pot melt butter, buttermilk, and sugar together.  Bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda.  Whisk quickly,  it will bubble up to the top of the pan.  Serve warm.  This syrup reheats well and can be made with Xagave in place of sugar.  

Deep Fried French Toast

     6 eggs
     2 cups milk
     1/4 cup oil or melted butter
    3 teaspoons pumpkin spice or baking spice
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    White bread
    Oil for Frying.   

In blender place all ingredients except oil and bread.  Blend well.  Place mixture in bowl and dip bread quickly in batter.  Drop in hot oil and brown on both sides.  Serve with fresh fruit, syrup, and powdered sugar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment