Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Lemon Pie Post 5

     When most people think of lemon desserts, I think lemon pie has to be what comes to mind. Is there anything better than a great lemon pie? I don't think so. And the best part of it is that lemon pies are the easiest to make of all pies.

  Lemon Meringue Pie topped the list for years and years as the most popular lemon pie, but in recent years it has moved down the list and has been replaced by Sour Cream Lemon Pie.

     Sour Cream Lemon Pie is tart but creamy, and can be made in minutes. I love the sour cream, but have used Greek yogurt with great success. In fact I like the slightly tartness of the yogurt, not to mention it is better for you than sour cream. The crust can be a simple cracker crust, or a baked crust,  the choice is yours. If I am really in a hurry, I have even used the ready made crusts from the store. You don't even need a crust for this pie, it can be used as a pudding  with great success. I love making pies and I think this one is at the top of my list of great pies.

      If you have the lemon juice frozen in the freezer, this pie is a great one for the summer BBQ.  Summer time and lemons seem to be the perfect combination.




The Recipe
Sour Cream Lemon Pie

     1 cup sugar or Xagave
     1/2 cup Lemon Juice
     1 cup milk or other liquid, I use Silk Coconut
     A dash of Flori di sicilia  (citrus extract) or Vanilla
     pinch salt
     3.5 tablespoons corn starch
     3 egg yolks lightly beaten
     1/4 cup butter or coconut oil can be used
     1 cup sour cream or Greek Yogurt
     Whipped Cream for topping

In medium sauce pan place sugar, lemon juice, milk, extract, salt, and cornstarch. Turn in heat to medium high and whisk well while cooking until mixture is thick. Remove from heat and in separate small bowl add egg yolks lightly beaten. Add 
to yolks a small amount of hot mixture whisking well, continue to do this until you have added about half of the hot mixture.  The reason you do this is so you don't fry the eggs all at once with the hot mixture.  After you  have added about half and it is well mixed add it back to the hot mixture in the sauce pan. Return it to the heat and continue stirring until mixture is thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat and add butter.  Mix well.  

Now you have 2 options.  

Option Number 1 is add all the sour cream for yogurt to the entire mixture and mix well and place in prepared pie shell and let cool.  Top with whipped cream and enjoy. 

Option Number 2 is remove about 1/3 of the mixture to a separate bowl and add the yogurt or sour cream to this mixture.  Pour the remaining mixture in the bottom of the prepared pie shell.  Smooth out and place the yogurt mixture on top and spread it out over the bottom mixture.  This option gives you a layered look.  Let cool and top with whipped cream to serve.



     As in all baking, it should be fun and relaxing. If you are stressed, you are doing something wrong. Before baking sit down and relax, enjoy a nice glass of lemonade, and take a few deep breaths, and then get up enjoy the experience.

    I love baking, especially when I think about the joy my food will bring others. Is that not the reason we bake, to serve others and bring joy into the life of those we love? Just like homemade bread, a lemon pie says the same thing. I love you.  And when they taste it they know it is true.
      



 


     I found this product when I was attending a week long baking class at King Arthur's Flour back east. It was a wonderful week, and in the bakery they use this amazing extract. You can probably mail order it from them or find it on sale at a speciality kitchen store. I love the unique citrus flavor it lends to the foods I use it in

2 comments:

  1. Definately going on my Recipes to try list.
    Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog from your post of Facebook.....I'm going to have to follow it now, but it makes me hungry just looking!! Yummo!!

    ReplyDelete