Monday, February 4, 2013

It's Lemonade Time. Post 4




       Nothing freshens a glass of anything, like a slice of fresh lemon. Lemons have a long and wonderful history. They date back in recorded history, as early as 700 BC. The most recorded events in history come from Egypt, where lemons were used in many ways. Ancient Greece used the fragrant lemon trees to keep their estates smelling fresh and clean all the time. 
       
       Lemons have the ability to add beauty from their green foliage to the bright yellow, and the trees grow well in many parts of the world. Perhaps the most use lemons get the world over is for flavoring beverages. Lemons add freshness to anything from a warm tea, to a plain glass of water. In fact it is most used to disguise the bad flavor of tap water the world over. A side benefit to adding lemons to water is that not only does it help the flavor, it also has antibacterial properties as well. Lemonade is probably should be the national drink in America, it certainly is a staple in the south where thousands of gallons are consumed each day.

     This is my method for making lemonade. I had a cafe once, and will again some day. At my cafe I used a formula to keep the beverages consistent. It was the gallon formula.  Everything I made to drink was by the gallon. I still do it at home. I keep several gallon plastic containers with lids handy for making beverages. For the lemons, I have found at a local store 1 cup containers with lids that stack in the freezer.   When I make lemonade I fill them up, and fill up the freezer.   One cup of lemon juice will make one gallon of lemonade or one cup will make a gallon of whatever beverage I am making. Here are some of my favorite recipes.




                                                                          
     Fresh Ginger Lemonade

           This is a family favorite.  You will need one cup of lemonade and one cup of fresh ginger juice.  To make ginger juice take about 2 cups of fresh ginger root, do not peel.  Place in heavy duty blender and cover with 4 cups of water.  Blend until smooth. Strain through a mess strainer and place in one cups freezer containers and freeze until ready.
      
            1  cup lemon concentrate
            1 cup ginger juice
            2 cups sugar or desired sweetener.  Stevia or Xagave work well.  Some like honey also.
             Water to fill gallon.  
Place lemon, ginger, and sweetener in gallon container and fill with water.  Mix well and serve over ice.  

 Fresh Watermelon Lemonade

        6 cups fresh chunks of watermelon
        1 cup lemon juice
        2 cups sugar or desired sweetener.  Stevia or Xagave work well.  Some like honey also.
        Water to fill a gallon.
Place water melon in blender and blend until smooth.  Place in pitcher with lemon and sweetener and mix well. 


Fresh Strawberry Lemonade

     3 cups fresh blended strawberries, blended well.
     1 cup lemon juice
     2 cups sugar or desired sweetener.  Stevia or Xagave work well.  Some like honey also.
Place all ingredients in gallon container and fill with water and mix well.  

Fresh Lemonade

      1 cup lemon juice
      2 cups sugar or desired sweetener.  Stevia or Xagave work well.  Some like honey also.
Sweeten to taste,  I like it sweet. It is a personal thing.  Start out with less and add more is a good rule.  


There really is no end to what you can do with lemonade. From fresh mint, to cranberries, lemonade can be a refreshing beverage all year long with an never ending variety of  taste. The gallon formula works well and when I am creating, that is how I go about it. I get out the gallon and start adding. It has worked for me for years and I hope it is helpful to you.   
              

2 comments:

  1. I'm getting thirsty just thinking about that watermelon lemonade. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this - I was never able to figure out how to be consistent with my lemonade!

    ReplyDelete