Monday, March 18, 2013

March Third Sunday Dinner Report



The tables are set, ready and waiting for Third Sunday Dinner.
     


      The dough has been made. It's a black quinoa sourdough bread. It will be topped with olive oil, rosemary, and kosher salt. I think we baked about  25 of these. Nothing like fresh baked bread to make any meal experience amazing. Who doesn't love fresh baked bread?





      I always prepare some thing cooling to drink. They must have been thirsty this Sunday, we went through 10 gallons of fresh lemonade. I used fresh juice from my lemon trees. Very cost effective way to offer a cooling beverage for everyone.




       These two boys are my life savers for Third Sunday Dinner.  They are amazing. The Justin's, they come early and help set up and prepare the food. I am intent of training them. I let them make mistakes. Funny thing this month. I pulled a jar of mayo from the pantry and we made dressing. The younger Justin made the dressing. I tasted it and it was rancid. I had him taste it. He choked.   I told him it was rancid. He asked why I had him taste it when I knew it was bad. I explained it to him that he needed to know what rancid tasted like. He laughed, and now he knows what rancid tastes like.

Tossed Salad with mixed greens, toasted onions, and mozzarella cheese balls.


Dinner,  pasta with a oat groats and carrot meat sauce.  



     Waiting for dinner. They come anytime, from 4:30 on. We enjoy that. In fact if Tina, the lady in orange, isn't there early we start to worry.






     One reason I choose flat bread is that it is easy to do. I make the dough up before the event and with sour dough starter, it will stay alive for hours. Sour dough starter is amazing at how it keeps doughs alive. Just yeasted doughs die after continually punching down. When I add my starter to the dough, it is amazing what happens. I can punch and punch and it keeps on growing.





      This is a young newly wed couple. She is from Russia and we love her like our daughter, she grew up just down the street from us. His family moved into the neighborhood just 2 months after we had started Third Sunday Dinner over four years ago. It is not dinner if they are not there. His mom calls me up before to see what the menu is, and what she can bring. Their boys and mine are like brothers. I love that about life. Relationships like these are what makes life so enjoyable. And Third Sunday Dinner has strengthened the bond.
Doesn't he have a great smile.  



   My wonderful son-in-law and my granddaughter. We are starting her early on Third Sunday Dinner. She is adorable.



 
       Rosemary Flat Bread. I love breads. Baking is a wonderful thing to share with others. It is one of my favorite things to share. It always makes people happy.








It does not take long for the line to form.

Two Pizza Stones make it easy to do. The bread bakes in about 7 minutes.  The oven is 500 degrees. I bake it on parchment paper, which allows easy access, in and out of the oven. I can pre-roll the dough and place it on parchment and let it rise. It bakes quickly. 

A perfect day for dinner outside. I love this picture. It is the Bishop of my church fellowshipping.

Joy, oh joy, the backyard is filled. Everyone is having a great time and enjoying the day.


     Third Sunday Dinner is not always easy. This Sunday at the end of the day I was beat. I felt so tired and worn out. It had been a long day. For some reason this Sunday I was really tired. It seems to hit just after everyone was gone. The clean up was not bad, it had just been a long day. I cleaned up and went to bed. After going to the gym this morning I took a minute to look at the photos and it all came rushing in just why I do Third Sunday Dinner. I looked at the pictures and in an instant I felt so happy that we had done Third Sunday Dinner even though I was tired. The end result always without fail over shadows any effort that one might feel. When we gather to fellowship and renew bonds of friendship and love, it is always worth the effort. What is the end result? Life time memories of people we love and have shared a wonderful Sunday afternoon with. Always, without fail, the joy out weighs the work.    Have a great week.  Chef Brad~America's Grain Guy

Rosemary Flat Bread

     1 cup sourdough starter
     1 cup hot water
      1/2 cup cooked black quinoa
     1/4 cup oil
     1/4 cup sugar or Xagave
     1 tablespoon salt
     2 tablespoons yeast 
     4 cups Natural White flour 

Place all the ingredients, except flour in Bosch or mixer bowl.  Place half the flour in and place the yeast on top.  Turn mixer on and add more flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  In might not use all the flour and it might need more.  Let the mixer tell you.   Mix for 6 minutes and turn off mixer.  Remove from bowl and place in oiled bowl,  let rise.   Divide into 2 to 3 pieces and roll out into circles. Place on parchment paper.  Let rise.  Using fingers make holes in dough and drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with rosemary and kosher salt.   Bake on hot pizza stone, 500 degrees. ( I sell a good one on my site). 

     


No comments:

Post a Comment