Monday, May 20, 2013

Whole Grain Pancakes are Amazing.

Pancakes topped with almonds and cinnamon sugar.  
     I love pancakes.  I adore them with all my heart,  But not those white flour garbage ones that the world seems to love.  I love whole grain pancakes, not whole wheat, but whole grain made with all types of grains.  Pancakes are the best way to start the day.  Filled with fiber and protein they are or can be so good for you.   I am careful to not top them with cheap store bought maple syrup.   That ruins a perfectly great pancake.   I love to use pure maple syrup, or my first choice is the Xagave brand agave.  It is half the price of pure maple syrup and ohh so good.  I also have found that pure coconut oil is a great replacement for butter.  So much better for you and you get the advantage of the good fat in your diet.

Egg stuffed pancake.
 

      This is my latest creation.  I leave the batter a little thinner and make a extra large pancake and fill it with a couple of fried eggs, fried in coconut oil.  It is an amazing way to eat pancakes.  If I am filling daring I add a couple slices of bacon on the inside.  That is a real treat that I don't do often.



      I cook my pancakes of a cast iron griddle.  This one that  I love is a lodge pizza pan.  Pure cast iron, made for baking pizza , it comes seasoned and ready to use.  I have to confess I have never used it for pizza.  I have used it for everything else from tortillas to pancakes, it is the perfect griddle.  I love how round it is.  Fits perfectly on my cook top.  What's up with the long griddles, that never seem to heat up right.  I love this one.
 


      Different ingredients cause pancakes to cook differently.  Same griddle, same heat, totally differently look.   I change the grain and liquid often. From buttermilk to almond or rice milk.  I add different flavorings also, from vanilla to orange.  Depending on how I fill.  We can eat pancakes everyday and never fill like we are eating the same thing.   I have a covered pancake batter bowl that I use and just add to it each day.  It has sourdough starter in it and I just keep adding more to it.   Pancake batter keeps well in the frig.  It does not look great, but just whisk it up and it looks great again.
I love fried eggs on pancakes.  It does not get any better.  

I saw this on Pintress.  I had to try it.  Oh my.  I did change the pancake recipe to whole grain.  

Cinnamon Swirl Whole Grain Pancakes
      Pancake are a great way to start the day.  Throw out the white flour and start using whole grains.  Any whole grain works.  Spelt happens to be one of my favorite. WonderFlour is perfect in every way for pancakes.  And make sure you are using Rumfords Baking Powder.  It is really the best.



Buttermilk Whole Grain Pancakes/waffles
2 cups WonderFlour or any whole grain flour
4 eggs
2 tablespoons Oil
2.5 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons Xagave
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 teaspoons Rumford’s Baking Powder

Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl except baking powder.  Whisk well.  Add baking powder and quickly whisk again.  Do not mix again.  Cook on hot griddle.

For a thinner pancake add more liquid, for a thicker pancake make the dough thicker by adding more flour.   I have found that I like both kinds for different reasons.  

Enjoy your pancake adventure.  Pancakes are a great way to start the day and I have even ended  the day with pancakes.  Filled with nutrition and flavor pancakes are good any meal.  Have a great day.  Chef Brad~America's Grain Guy


Nothing like a few spoons of nutilla to take the pancake over the edge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment