Monday, August 5, 2013

Cashew Cream Chicken and Pasta



     Last year I discovered Cashew Cream and have fallen in love with it and all its uses.  It takes the place of cream in many of my dishes.  It is heavenly, creamy, and delightful.  I love the creamy texture and the flavor.  I do not even miss cream after using this.  And most importantly, it is better for you.  It makes the best alfredo type sauces or cheese sauce.  I love it.






    This is a dish I just made with carrots, bacon, onions, garlic,  and chicken.  I first sauted the bacon with the carrots until the carrots are almost tender.  After the carrots are tender I added the chicken.  Sauted the chicken until done.  When the chicken was done I added the cashew cream.
The last thing I did was add cooked pasta.  I love to use Quinoa pasta from Andean Dream.  I adore their pasta,  it is amazing.
   
Chicken, carrots, onion, garlic, and chicken.  




       To make cashew cream you will need raw cashews, a pressure cooker, and a powerful blender.  I used the RPM lequip blender.  It is powerful and easy to use.

    Place desire amount of cashews in pressure cooker and cover with water.  Pressure for six minutes on high.  Remove from heat and drain off water.  Place in pressure cooker and cover with water.  The amount of water depends on how thick you need the cream.  More water the lighter the cream.


      Blend it until creamy and your ready to go.  It stores well and can be used in anything you need cream.  I love to use it in soups and sauces.  Some times I have used salted cashews and it works well with them.  Cooking them for 6 minutes in the pressure cooker softens them and makes them creamy.   Sometimes I add chicken stock to the cashews for more flavor.  I only do that if I am making a savory dish.


Cashew Cream Chicken 

Cashew Cream Chicken and Pasta 

2 cups raw cashews
4 cups water
1 pound baby carrots
1 onion
8 slices of bacon
4 garlic cloves
4 boneless breast of chicken or boneless chicken thighs
2 lbs. of cooked pasta, your choice
salt and pepper to taste

In pressure cooker place cashews and water and pressure for 6 minutes on high pressure.   Remove and drain water and place cashews in blender cover with water or chicken stock.  Blend until smooth.  Set aside.  

In large saute pan place bacon, carrots,  and onions and saute until carrots are almost tender.   Add garlic and chicken.  Cook until chicken is done.  Add sauced and pasta.  Season to taste.  Enjoy


Cashew cream is a wonderful way to cook dishes that need a heavy cream.   It adds so much flavor.  Don't be afraid to experiement and I am sure it will become a staple in your kitchen.   It has become one  of my favorites.  Chef Brad~America's Grain Guy

1 comment:

  1. I make cashew cream from raw cashews and water just blended until smooth. What does the pressure cooking do for the product?

    ReplyDelete