Monday, June 10, 2013

Nothing like a Fresh Tomato

Garden Fresh Tomatoes

Fresh out of the garden
     Is there anything better than a fresh tomato?   I don't think so.  Fresh tomatoes rate the highest on my favorite food list.  I adore heirloom tomatoes and yes I have even paid lots of money at the store for them.  A vine ripened tomato is the best, especially when you grow it yourself.

     One of my favorite things to do is to bottle fresh tomatoes.  They are easy to bottle and I have tomatoes all year long.

    Another favorite is to roast them in the oven for pasta dishes.  Toss them is a little olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper and place them in the oven at 400 degrees until the skins are darkened.  After they are roasted I toss them with pasta and some  fresh basil from the garden and oh my what a meal.

     I have to say my all time favorite way to eat tomatoes, when not eating them in the garden, is a tomato and cheese sandwich.  On any kind of bread with any kind of cheese this is really heaven to me.  I love them and could eat them day and night, and I usually do when the tomatoes start to ripen.  Add a spread of fresh basil pesto and wham, talk about a great sandwich.

Pesto tomato and cheese sandwich. 
Plant a tomato plant or make friends with someone that grows tomatoes and as soon as they are ripe make a tomato and cheese sandwich.  Chef Brad~America's Grain Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment