Monday, January 28, 2013

Pickled Lemons, Sour in a Jar Post 2



     You are probably wondering what a pickled lemon is. Great thing to wonder about. Pickled Lemons and preserving lemons date back hundreds of years. In fact where ever citrus is grown, man has managed to preserve them. And of course this is done for cooking. I am amazed at the endless possibilities of food. Just when you think you are getting a grasp on it, new windows open up and new taste adventures await.

     I discovered Pickled Lemons years ago and have found that it is one of the easiest things do preserve.  And since I have an over abundance of lemons,  I enjoy preserving them. I just love to bottle things.  It is an amazing feeling of achievement to me.  I love to look loving at the finished bottles of anything I put in them.  That is one of the reasons I garden is to bottle.  And bottling lemons is the best.
     The first thing you need to do is clean the bottles. I like smaller ones for lemons, because I can go through it faster.
And of course you need lemons.

     Wash the lemons and cut them in wedges.  There are several different ways to cut them, but I like wedges.  Next you will need salt. I love the Redmond's Kosher found at Whole Food Style stores. Place the lemons in the jar, filling the jar half way and add a tablespoon of salt.  Place more lemons packing them in and top them of with another tablespoon of salt.  Place the clean lids on top. Then do a water bath for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and let cool. Make sure the jar seals before storing them.  They will store well for months and months.







      I love how pretty they look. You can also add herbs to the jars before you place the lid on for added flavor. Some suggestions would be chiles, garlic, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, cloves, mace, etc. I love the look of herbs in my jars.  These don't have herb, but my next batch will. The herbs will add more flavor to the foods you cook. I like having both.  The plain can go with anything, while using herbs limits you a small bit, but not much.  Some even add vinegar to the lemons,  a good white vinegar is what I would recommend. Don't just use distilled, it would be to harsh. A good white wine vinegar or white balsamic would be perfect. Just pour the vinegar over the lemons, not adding as many, just before sealing the jars.


       Ok, now you know how to pickle a lemon. What do you do with a pickled lemon is the next big question. Here are some suggestions.
     Add chopped to salsa.
     Great with seafood.
     Slice and serve with Ice cream.
     Great addition to savory dishes, chopped.
     Use in Ceviches.
     Use in any dish where lemons are required.
     Great is savory sauces and gravies.
     Add to salad dressings.
     Great in marinades.
     Great for rubs on meats and poultry.
     Google search recipes, Moroccan food is famous for pickle        lemons. Let your imagination be your guide,  Pickled Lemons are wonderful and if you have a lemon tree,  I suggest you start pickling. Did I mention,  what a great gift idea? Who would not enjoy a jar of Pickled Lemons.


Pickled lemons used to marinate shrimp before grilling is amazing.  


1 comment:

  1. It looks like there is a liquid in the jars but no mention of adding anything to the jars except lemons and salt. Would you add water or just the lemons and salt?

    ReplyDelete