Saturday, January 12, 2013

Redefining Pancakes


Whole Grain Pancakes cooked on a cast iron griddle.

Whole Grain Pancakes 
     I am a pancake fanatic.  I love them and eat them often at home.  I say at home because I hate white flour pancakes and refuse to eat them, especially when I am traveling or out for breakfast.

     I do have to admit, they are pretty and tempting.  A while ago I was traveling with one of my best friends. , and we went to a breakfast place to eat.  We did not order pancakes, but they came with the order.  We both looked at them, and they looked great.  So at the same time we took a bite, and then choked.  It was NASTY.  Pasty, heavy, and lacking in flavor, except for the butter and syrup.  Needless to say we left the remainder untouched.

     America's standard is light fluffy pancakes. I love that standard, and have proved that you can get the same with whole grain. There are a few tricks I have learned over the years, to accomplish that.  


      One of my favorite tricks I have used for years to achieve the perfect pancake, is Rumfords baking powder.  It is amazing.  The trick is adding the Rumfords last. After you whisk it into the batter, don't mix again before gently ladling the batter unto your griddle.  It works great,  especially with whole grains.

     The second trick is that amazing Xagave brand agave.  It is high in insulin, that gives it extra fluff power.

     The third trick is WonderFlour.  This is my blend of grains that makes perfect pancakes.  However, you can use almost any whole grain for
great pancakes.

My Secrets to Great tasting Whole Grain Pancakes

     What I love about whole grain pancakes it the flavor.  They are nutty, and depending on the grain you use, they have different distinct flavors.  The best thing I love about whole grain pancakes is how you feel after eating them.  You don't feel bloated and heavy, in fact you feel full, but it is a good full. You feel good knowing that the whole grain will help keep things moving,  and not just back up your system like white flour pancakes do.

     Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What you put into your body to start the day, really makes a difference in how the day goes.

     I have more energy, feel better, and get more done when I start the day out with whole grains.



     Pancakes should be light and fluffy,  they should be filled with flavor, and most important they should add nutrition to the body, strengthen our bodies, and give us the much needed fiber to keep our bodies clean and toxin free.  Throw out the bags of white flour garbage, and join the whole grain pancake revolution.

Chef Brad's Whole Grain Pancakes

4 eggs
3 tablespoons oil, coconut is great
3 tablespoons Xagave
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups buttermilk, you can use almond, soy, rice, or what ever you like
3 cups WonderFlour or any fresh ground flour,  Spelt  and Kamut are amazing.
1 tablespoon Rumfords baking powder

In large bowl whisk eggs and add oil, Xagave, vanilla, salt, and buttermilk.  Whisk well  and add flour, whisk well again.  Add Rumfords and whisk well, making sure after you have whisked well to remove the whisk and do not stir again.   Gently ladle batter onto a hot oiled griddle.  Flip, and enjoy.

One more very important thought.  After all the trouble of making healthy great tasting pancakes, why do we top it with store bought maple syrup.  For a healthy alternative I purchase an extra small bottle of Xagave and open it up and add a teaspoon of Pure Maple Extract.  Give it a good shake and I have the healthiest syrup ever.  I have changed it up with Almond extract, orange extract, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment